Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bumps in the night




One would think being on a boat at night, that silence is a big no, HUGE part of it. And one normally would be right. Ive been in deserted coves in Mexico where I could actually hear the barnacles feeding on the bottom paint and my beard growing. Boats are alive. Yes I know that sounds scary but it's true. A little crrrrreeeeek whoop here and a ding ding click there. A little olive oil here and a few well places shim's there and you get , for the most part your boat to hush up a bit. Unless the winds blowing over 10 knots then forget it. She'll come alive again with halyards slapping, canvas shaking and that ever romantic slapping of the hull. I like those sounds actually love em makes for great sleeping.


Last night I had a dream we where being attacked. It was calm as calm can be. Look it up in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of Liddy sitting in such calmness. Yet when it's that calm there is no strain at all on anything. Whooomp!! The mooring balls bouncing off the bow. Thud thud........thhuud. The dingys bouncing off the stern. And na it's not a mellow trance reggae beat it's completely random. Like they have a spy on board......


"Ready?"


"Nah he's still up"


"Ok let me know"


"Should we do the dink or the ball first"


"Lets start with the dink then build to the ball"


"Yea man that'll get him up"


"Sheesss he's crawlin into the bunk, get ready"


Thump...thuuump...thumpthump


"The ball ?"


"Nah hit him with the dink again"


Thuudthump.....thuuuump...tapthump"


"Hahaha hahaaha now the bow! "


WOOOOMP WHOOOOMP Woomp"


"HAhahaHAHHAAH that got him"


"Sheeessh he's coming"


....silence......


"Ready?


"Wait for it...wait for it..... ok the bow"


Whooomp...whooomp..whoooaoomp.


"HahHAAHAA I could do this all night!"


" Yea HahahHAH hey maybe we should call Mani see if he wants to creak the tiller?"


And that my friends was the gentle sounds of my night last night. Except for the part where I tripped over the computers cord on my way out to catch those guys.
















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAHHHHHHHH 2 B Tied by 2 Ballz!!!

Markitos said...

G I never thought of it that way.

OceanCruiserWannabe said...

I'd rather not think of it that way!